In this ready-to-go biographical article and activity mini-unit about Anne Frank - the young, Jewish writer who wrote about her life hiding with her family from the Nazis during World War II - High Beginning to Intermediate ESL students practice reading and responding to informational text. It can be used for an in-class activity, homework, or an emergency sub plan. I designed this product with middle school and high school ESL students in mind because I often find resources that are appropriate for my students' language levels, but not their age levels. Included in this product are:
1. Anne Frank biographical article (6 pages, including pictures)
2. Vocabulary: Academic vocabulary (Tier 2 words) in bold print throughout reading. Vocabulary chart, adapted from Learner's Dictionary, at the end of the reading with definitions. Parts of speech and singular/plural nouns are also identified in the chart.
3. Spelling Practice: Students unscramble vocabulary words and write the correct spelling in sentences taken from the reading.
4. Vocabulary Practice: Students complete cloze sentences with the correct vocabulary words. Sentences are out of the context of the reading.
5. Vocabulary Cards: Words and definitions on cards. Great for matching activities, such as Memory, or word walls.
6. Grammar: Students conjugate verbs from reading into past tense.
7. Sequencing Main Events: Students put the main events of the article in chronological order.
8. Question Annotation: Students circle the question word, underline the subject once, verb twice, and box the object.
9. Reading Comprehension: After students annotate questions, they answer reading comprehension questions using complete sentences.
10. Cause and Effect worksheet based on reading.
11. Paragraph Writing Outline: Topic sentence, details, examples, concluding sentence.
12. Paragraph Writing Template
13. CCSS Alignment and Teaching Tips
Malala Biographical Article & Activities
ESL Hero Research Project Paragraph Writing and Oral Presentation
Aung San Suu Kyi Biographical Article & Activities
Harriet Tubman Biographical Article and Activities for ESL
Frida Kahlo Biographical Article & Activities