Annie Oakley - Tall Tales Library Lesson - American Folklore - Calamity Jane
Also included in
- This tall tales bundle includes everything you need to teach six American tall tales! Includes 6 American folklore presentations, 6 activities, 6 recommended reads lists, and 6 lesson plan templates aligned to AASL, CCSS, and TEKS. This bundle was created for libraries, but the lessons can be used iPrice $37.80Original Price $42.00Save $4.20
Continuing my tall tales library lesson series with Annie Oakley! Includes a 2-part library lesson, scavenger hunt, Recommended Reads, and an editable lesson plan aligned to TEKS, CCSS, and AASL standards. Calamity Jane is featured in Part II of the lesson.
My Digital Library Lessons will save you so much time! I design them specifically for new elementary librarians, especially those who are on the Specials rotation and/or are simply busy parents who just do not have time to create detailed storytime lessons.
The green button above shows more details!
: This tall tales library lesson focuses on sharpshooters Annie Oakley and Calamity Jane. There are guns in the clipart and the historical photos. There is also a 29-second movie (from 1894; available on YouTube) of Annie Oakley shooting inanimate targets.
if you are not willing to show some guns in your classroom or library. It is impossible to talk about these two women without any gun photos or discussion of shooting targets. If you are unsure, check out the Preview above--there are lots of sample slides in the Preview.
- Recommended for: Grades 2-4; created for school libraries, but it works for classrooms, too!
- Lesson Duration: 1-2 library lessons, total of about 50 minutes
- Formats: PPT or Google Slides, PDF
- Editable: YES, all text is editable
- 34-slide PPT and Google Slides presentation (editable)
- List of recommended Annie Oakley and Calamity Jane books and read-alikes (1 page PDF, editable)
- Scavenger Hunt + Answer Key (2 pages PDF)
- Lesson plan, includes CC, TEKS, and AASL Standards, pre-filled for this lesson but also 100% editable (2 pages, PDF)
- Prep, set up, and tips (7 pages, PDF)
- Google™ Classroom Basics (4 pages, PDF)
- Instructions on how to set up PPT slide timings for digital bulletin boards (2 pages, PDF)
- 17 slides tell the story of the real-life Annie Oakley, from birth to death.
- Includes childhood, sharpshooter skills, contest and marriage to Frank Butler, death, and legacy.
- You can follow the presentation with a read-aloud, but it is not necessary. Students will learn all they need to know about Annie Oakley from this lesson.
- 15 slides can be moved into the Part I Whole Class Lesson or scrolled during checkout or library activities
- includes facts and trivia questions about Annie Oakley
- five slides at the end introduce Calamity Jane
- vocabulary word: calamity
- Includes mix of colorful clipart and real historical photos. Every slide meant for students to see includes either a photo or an illustration.
- Scavenger Hunt coloring page with Annie Oakley and Calamity Jane trivia questions (all information available in the presentation)
- Answer Key for the Scavenger Hunt trivia questions
- Recommended Reads for Annie Oakley and Calamity Jane books and read-alikes for Grades 2-4 (editable)
- Lesson Plan aligned with TEKS, AASL, and CCSS standards (editable)
I regularly add new products for school librarians and English teachers to my store.
and receive notifications of when new products are posted. All new products are 50% off for the first 48 hours.