Annotation activity that can be used with close reading Annotation and Coding. Fun activity with emojis that encourages close reading with various types of text.
Emojis/emoticons are used to "talk to text" through texting symbols that students use with their cell phones.
Purpose of Unit
Students are reluctant to do close reading, but the emoji type annotation codes encourages the students to practice close reading while having fun. The close read annotation codes are put into emoticon texting symbols to engage students as they develop critical analysis skills with close reading (CCSS RL 1/ CCSS RI 1) while coding text.
Included in the “Talk to Text” pack are annotation codes for:
- Summarizing, Main idea and Details(5W’s)
- Reciprocal teaching
- Story elements codes
- Multi-passages (fiction/informational)
- Examples for each set of annotation codes
The printouts can be used for the following purposes:
- Interactive notebooks
- Literacy stations and Centers
- Anchor charts and posters
- Color and black and white printouts