Sometimes a great idea comes from out of the blue, in this case it came right from the web...
The hardest part of teaching reading is helping kids get the main idea. Instead of retelling all the details, they need to be able to grasp that one word, concept, label, or....tag---here comes the idea---hash tag!!! Hash tags are used all over social media to give the essence of a post, so now we can use that idea to help kids understand the essence of the challenging stuff they have to read with this minilesson!
This mini-lesson includes:
1. A brief discussion of the use of hash tags and how they are used 2. Two cartoons that use hash tags
3. An introduction to the hash tag annotation strategy
3. Guided practice with a short passage---about the controversy of pit bulls
4. Application of the hash tag annotations to answer three multiple choice questions that are based on the FCAT Sunshine Standards Test Specifications, but can be used to practice any state standardized test.
5. Answers to each question
6. Teacher directions provided in the notes section of the power point