Take a trip south to the frozen land of Antarctica with this fascinating Art & Nature-Science Unit, which contains over 90 pages full of colorful pictures and information.
Discover a whole continent you probably know very little about: Antarctica.Discover a whole continent you probably know very little about: Antarctica.
Here’s what you can do with this nature unit, either for your pleasure or for your homeschool art and science program:
- See photos of Antarctica’s incredible scenery
- Learn about its history from the whaling industry to today’s scientific research stations and booming tourist business
- Enjoy and discuss paintings of Antarctic sunsets
- Learn about the world’s lowest recorded temperature, temperatures at the South Pole, and ice 15,000 feet thick
- Learn what continents and nations are closest to the South Pole
- Look at photos taken at the South Pole, including the official sign post, and scientists at play
- Learn about ozone depletion and how it affects the South Pole
- Follow links to videos for a tour of Antarctica and to experience nature there
- Discover the creatures that live in Antarctica, including penguins, seals, and whales
- Get to know about and recognize the 5 main Antarctic penguins, with photos, facts, coloring pages and videos
- See where different penguin species live on a habitat map of Antarctica
- Search for the world’s 17 different types of penguins in a fun wordsearch
- Find a form to fill out to help kids write their own penguin “U-reports”
- Match real snowflake photos - beware, they are deceptively alike, yet not identical
- Color some gorgeous snowflake designs - and glitter them to make snowflake ornaments
- Penguin mazes, bookmark, and a word puzzles activity page
- Learn about whales that literally sing and dance in the wild, in their watery home - and see videos of whales singing
- Discover the world’s largest and second largest animals - whales that feed in Antarctica
- Learn about Orca communication and social lives
- Read the story of 2 special Orca encounters by the author, with photos and video
- Follow our family on assignment to photograph Arctic and Antarctic wildlife at Sea World in San Diego
- Learn about an Antarctic porpoise and an Antarctic dolphin, and color them
- Discover the world of the albatross, with the largest wingspan of any bird, and color it in breathtaking scenery
- Find the names of 29 different Antarctic birds
- Discover 6 different Antarctic seals through photos, stories, and facts, then color them and solve seal mazes
- Antarctic mammal word search with names of Antarctic seals and whales, plus words to unscramble
- Use our penguin and seal cutouts for your notebook or reports - or use them as cookie cutters!
So get ready to be inspired! Download this book and get started on your Art & Nature-Science Unit on Antarctic Wildlife today!
The author, Joymarie Dunlap, was the leading writer for The Teaching Home magazine for 10 years. She homeschooled her 5 kids from preschool to high school graduation. After The Teaching Home stopped publishing in 2001, she founded LightHome Publications and has created over 70 books for homeschoolers.