Also included in
- STEM Explorers Bundle - Global Engineering ChallengesPack your bags and take your students on a voyage of STEM challenges that incorporate the engineering design process with themed activities from countries around the world. This STEM curriculum includes activities that travel to each continent and$22.40$28.00Save $5.60
- Antarctica Shelter Distance Learning Engineering Design STEM Activity: Read the letter from fictitious travel guides explaining weather conditions and the hazards of living in Antarctica. Using the engineering design process, student teams are then tasked with designing an insulating shelter to prev$8.10$9.00Save $0.90
- GROWING bundle for Digital STEM challenges for Elementary! Perfect to support distance learning and hybrid classrooms. Lessons include: Complete Teacher Guide: Detailed teacher guide with links to resources, grading rubric, handouts on a STEM career connection and science background, and handouts fo$57.92$72.40Save $14.48
Take your students on a educational journey to Antarctica with this complete lesson! Read the letter from fictitious travel guides explaining weather conditions and the hazards of living in Antarctica. Students will learn about "insulation" and "freezing point" as they complete introductory activities using dry ice (optional) and simulating animal blubber! An icebreaker activity facilitates teamwork as students must "cross the ice" to travel across the classroom while only touching sheets of paper "ice". Using the engineering design process, student teams are then tasked with designing an insulating shelter to prevent ice from melting! Students also learn about the STEM careers of geoscience, marine biology, and satellite engineering to bring in a real-world STEM connection. Related math problems extend the learning fun!
As with many STEM activities that are student-driven, this challenge can be tailored to students of various skill levels and abilities.
Included in this product:
- Detailed teachers guide with links to resources
- Grading rubric for the engineering design process
- STEM Career Connections
- Icebreaker activity instructions
- Student handouts to guide them through the engineering design process
- Math extension problems
Required Materials for Challenge: Styrofoam cups, tape, foil, card stock/standard paper, wax paper, scissors, paper plates, craft sticks, cotton balls, plastic condiment containers, small liquid measurement containers, and ice.
Looking for more STEM lessons? Find the Vivify resource guide here: bit.ly/VivifyResourceGuide
About STEM Challenges: Click here to learn more about the 3 Stages of STEM. STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or after school program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own device.
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥