This is a mini argumentative writing unit based on Ayn Rand's Anthem. It teaches students to use the Claim-Evidence-Commentary model of writing and provides practice throughout reading the novel.
(1) Step-by-Step Teacher Instructions
(2) Claim-Evidence-Commentary Writing Explanation and Rubric
(3) Writing an Arguable Claim Activity
(3) Think-Tac-Toe Activity for chapters 1-2 where students practice writing a claim and selecting evidence
(4) Model essay written based off of chapters 1-2 of Anthem where the teacher can explain step-by-step how to write a short argumentative response
(5) Handout for students to write first short response based off of Think-Tac-Toe activity
(6) Outline for students to practice writing final short response essay at the end of the novel
(7) Handout for students to write final essay on the development of the main character of the novel
This mini-unit was one of the most successful units I used for teaching argumentative writing/short response writing. Students told me this unit helped them to make a lot more sense of the writing process and what was expected in academic/tested writing. ENJOY!