Use a fun read aloud story to do writing activities, adjective crafts, and a whole group game. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a perfect mentor text for teaching antonyms and adjectives.
- Antonym Flip Book for My Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day/My Terrific, Wonderful, Perfect, Very Great Day. Students will have a great time writing a contrasting book about their worst and most ideal day patterned after the text.
- I Have Who Has? Antonyms Game
- Antonym Tab Book for students to write a caption and illustrate antonyms using sensory words for time, taste, emotions, and sound.
- Restaurant Menu for students to add adjectives for food items.
- Hamburger Advertisement Craft and Writing for students to write an advertisement for their delicious hamburger using adjectives.
- 32 Adjective Hot Dog cards to be used with the Menu and Hamburger Craft. Both color and black and white versions are included.
I love to use mentor text for learning standards. My students enjoyed all of these activities.