The following lesson is a common core-based worksheet on the rise and fall of apartheid in South Africa. This lesson contains a variety of student-centered activities designed to promote critical thinking and class discussion such as:
• Do now that sets up the lesson well.
• Primary and secondary source introduction of apartheid including several actual apartheid laws. – questions follow.
• Song and lyric analysis – Dave Matthews Band, “Cry Freedom.” (link provided) – critical thinking questions follow.
• Primary and secondary source readings on the African National Congress, Nelson Mandela, and the end of apartheid. Includes several critical thinking questions perfect for small group or whole class discussion.
• Fill-in-the-blanks notes – includes answers.
NEW! - 8 slide PowerPoint filled with photographs, the aim question, fill in the blank notes, maps, charts, and other images
NEW! - Lesson plan with step-by-step teacher moves
NEW! - Answer key!
This lesson can be easily modified for a longer or shorter class period. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Please follow me to receive notifications for new products. Finally, please take the time to rate this worksheet. Thank you!