In this exciting first edition of "Common Core Writing for Every Month of the Year", students will use "All You Need is Love" by The Beatles to compose a summer narrative song.
This printable, ready-to-go activity includes:
- a lesson plan aligned to 3rd grade Common Core narrative writing standards
- printable lyrics for a student example song
- a ready-to-go graphic organizer
- a narrative for students to unscramble
- an example paragraph
- a blank printable for students to compose and illustrate their song
- a rubric for students' writing
Start your year off right with 3rd grade narrative writing! I've tried this activity and found that all my students loved The Beatles as well as the accompanying nature sounds while they write. Writing in a song format is wonderful for your creative learners and helps ease the pain for those who struggle to write. Creating an illustration at the end is an incredible motivation for your artists.The best part is the joy students have when sharing these songs!
The "theme" approach is presented by the song, and gives students a firm foundation for creating paragraphs that center on a strong topic.
The structure of this lesson can also be used with all types of writing, just make a few alterations and the possibilities are endless!