This packet is designed to help your students practice producing early-developing speech sounds in a variety of CV, CVC, and CVCV words. It also provides practice with more complex syllable structures including CVCVC words, 3-syllable words, and 4-syllable words. This activity also targets understanding descriptive concepts and listening for details.
This packet contains an “Apple Mat” for every target listed below (24 mats total).
Each “Apple Mat” includes 20 colorful apples with pictures and words on them.
Here’s how to use this activity:
1) Choose the appropriate “Apple Mat” for your students.
2) Cut-out the calling cards on pages 27-29 (you may choose to use only the first 2 pages of calling cards for younger students). Laminate the cards for extra durability. Place the cards face-down in a pile on the table or inside a bag.
3) Have your student choose a card and read the prompt (for example: “What do you see on the blue apple with stripes?”). Then, have your student locate the correct apple and practice saying the word on that apple.
4) If your student produces the word correctly, he/she can cover that apple with a token or bingo chip. You can also put the mat inside a page-protector and use dry erase markers to cross off the apples.
5) You can play this game like “Bingo” and have your students try to get 4 apples in a row or play until all the apples on the mat are covered.
The following sound combinations are targeted:
•Initial /b/ CV words
•Initial /p/ CV words
•Initial /m/ CV words
•Initial /w/ CV words
•Mixed bilabial CV words
•Initial /t/ CV words
•Initial /d/ CV words
•Initial /n/ CV words
•Mixed alveolar CV words
•Mixed CV words (bilabial and alveolar)
•CVC words ending with /t/
•CVC words ending with /p/
•CVC words ending with /m/ and /n/
•Mixed CVC words (ending with /t/, /p/, /m/, /n/)
•Mixed CVC words (adding the consonant sounds /f, v, k, g, s/
•CVCV words with medial /n/ and /m/
•CVCV words with medial /p/ and /b/
•CVCV words with medial /t/ and /d/
•Mixed CVCV words (using the consonant sounds /h, w, t, d, n, b, p, m/
•Mixed CVCV words (adding the consonant sounds /k, g, f, v, s/)
•Blank Apple Mat so that you can add your own targets
Activity created by Lauren Laur, CCC-SLP