April Fool's Joke: Inference / Critical Thinking Lesson: Fake News vs Tulips 002
- Google Apps™
Also included in
- This bundle includes every resource in my TPT store. ⭐ GET EVERYTHING so you don't have to worry about missing out! If you agree with this video at 2:09and you agree with my ideas about EFFORT at 15:52then you will love my stuff⭐ 38 teachers have INVESTED in this bundle so far! As I add resources,Price $164.25Original Price $328.50Save $164.25
High-Interest April Fools' Joke + Critical Thinking Lesson!
Can your students figure out if this is a real Google™ product?
Seriously. This is a legit Google video. But, can your students infer it's an April Fool's Joke?
Look at the Preview VIDEO and PDF to see what you get in this product.
⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Want a free sample? Check out FAKE NEWS vs The Five Ws
60 minutes of content:
- Part 1: Fake News vs Tulips + Exit Ticket (30 min)
- Part 2: Taking up the Answers + Student Reflection (30 min)
The slideshow lesson teaches critical thinking concepts.
- Use the Five Ws (who, what, when, where, why/how) to think about the video.
- Then ask "Why or How" questions to gain a deeper understanding.
The exit ticket assessment gives students a chance to demonstrate their understanding.
Marking Guide includes sample "look-fors."
- Incorrect answer
- Simple / straightforward answer
- Answers demonstrating increasing complexity
- A list of "Next Steps" is included on the exit ticket. You can choose one for the student, or they can self-select what they think they need to work on.
Generic rubric categories are used instead of numbers or marks:
- Epic, Great, Good, Simple, Very Simple, Misunderstanding.
This way, you can use this activity with different grades - just shift the benchmark where students need to demonstrate to get a "B", "level 3" or 75%
- If you teach a higher grade, maybe "Good" is what students need to demonstrate to get a "B."
- If you teach a lower grade, maybe "Simple" is what students need to demonstrate to get that same "B."
- If a student is on accommodations, ELL, ESL, or an Individual Education Plan (IEP), maybe they need to demonstrate the ideas from the "Very Simple" category to get that "B."
- The answer guide has ideas of varying complexity so you can use these "look-fors" to create your own marking scheme.
The "Taking up the Answers" slideshow
- shows students how to take a simple answer and create a more complex idea using "idea volleyball."
- It takes a "straightforward" answer and shows students how to create a more complex answer.
- It takes that same "straightforward" answer and simplifies it to shows students what a lower mark answer might look like.
Social-Emotional Learning is built directly into the lesson and assessment:
The exit ticket is designed to help students develop self-awareness skills as they work their way through the "Fake News versus" series.
After students see the correct answer, the "Taking up the Answers" slideshow walks students through the goal-setting process to improve:
- Step 1: What did you do well?
- Step 2: What ideas did you miss this time?
- Step 3: What is your goal for next time?
- Step 4: What might help you to improve?
The "Taking up the Answers" slideshow gives students examples of actions they can take to improve:
- Use a different Strategy
- Apply more Effort.
- Optimize results (by looking at previous work to see if there are patterns.)
- Tinkering with new ideas
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL - This product is HEAVILY DISCOUNTED right now for a limited time.
- This product was launched on March 30, 2022.
- Some of my products are FREE or deeply discounted when they are first released. This is a special thank you to people who follow my store.
- SEOT 001 Fake News vs The Five Ws is currently free. Get it while you can!
- FOLLOW MY STORE so TpT can notify you when I publish a new product!
- SIGN UP for the Educircles Newsletter to get free stuff!
WORRIED ABOUT MISSING OUT ON DEALS? DO YOU WANT MY NEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE?
- Stop worrying about waiting for my products to go on sale.
- Stop stressing about missing out on early bird FREE pricing for my new products.
- Get the Educircles EVERYTHING Bundle today and get all my new products for free. (Psst, the price of this bundle goes up as I add more resources.)
✅ The slideshow lesson teaches the concepts (28 slides.)
✅ The "Taking up the answers" slideshow shows students where they went wrong and how they can improve (55 slides.)
✅ You can EDIT THE GOOGLE SLIDES to fit your classroom needs.
✅ Visual Lesson Timing PDF (8 pages) shows you which slides to teach (i.e. a lesson plan just with slide thumbnails.)
✅ Exit Ticket Handout (1 page.) Note: I used Google Slides to make the handout.
✅ Answer Guide PDF (1 page) with things to "look-for" for different categories on the rubric. (i.e. ideas with increasing complexity.)
✅ Scanned Handwritten Example Answer PDF (1 page) so students can see what a complex answer might look like. (i.e., how to get all of those complex ideas into a tiny space by being precise and concise.)
✅ Use the one-click copy links (in the START HERE File Table of Contents PDF) to quickly find the files you need.
If you have any questions, please email me at Mike@educircles.org or ask in the Questions and Answers section!