Arc of the Story Unit of Study - Lucy Calkins Realistic Fiction Supplemental Resources
→ Love the Units of Study but wish there were some extra resources that went along with each lesson? Need a resource that can help with your minilesson or work period activities? Need a visual that your students can go back to as they draft/revise/and edit their realistic fiction stories?
→ If so, you have come to the right spot! This product offers five great pages to go along with five of the lessons from the 4th grade narrative unit - The Arc of the Story.
Included in this resource are materials for:
- Session 3 : graphic organizer for your students to jot down external/internal traits for their characters
- Session 6 : an example of a storytelling voice and a summarizing voice. Also, there are helpful tips on how to storytell rather than summarize
- Session 9 : Explanation/visual of "turning the lights on" in writing by adding action and setting. There is also an example of writing without the lights turned on and students need to rewrite the scene with the lights on
- Session 10 : Revising - Cardboard Characters. This page has an example of writing with a cardboard character. Students must jot down their thoughts why the character is a "cardboard character" and then turn and talk with their partners
- Session 13 : Revising - Mentor Text Lens. A recording sheet for students to jot down their thoughts from the two mentor texts that go along with this lesson (Fireflies and Pippi Longstocking)
→ Please check out the preview to get a glance of what each page looks like. I hope you and your students enjoy this product!
→ Happy teaching :)