Students take a journey into history and the fascinating world of Archimedes. They follow his footsteps as he determines the ratio “pi”, discovers the relationship between a sphere and a cylinder, and helps King Hiero determine the density of his crown! This project integrates history, physics, and mathematics. This project is perfectly suited for your scientific students who are interested in answering the questions “why” and “how” does that work!?!
This stand-alone project guides students through the 3D Geometry aspects of 7th Grade Geometry. (7.G.A.3 and 7.G.B.6) If students already have the skills, this project takes approximately 4 days. If they need to learn the skills as they go (project-driven) then it is a 2 ½ week unit.
Included in this resource is:
• Full project graphic organizer so students operate independently
• Answer keys to project steps
• Teacher Tips and Differentiation Options
• A Reading to launch the project and create foundational knowledge
• Colorful and editable student map that can be used to guide students through the entire learning process—document can be adjusted with icons to suit YOUR unit process
• Instructions for writing an abstract summary when students are finished