Arctopia: Life of Bryan is a digital educational game by ArcLab, which teachers can use in class to allow students to play and learn about Scarcity and Choices
Through experiencing the life of a fictional individual in the Learning Game, students will be able to more fully understand the concepts, that
1. resources are limited (concept of Scarcity), and do not refer only to monetary resources,
2. as a result of scarcity, all choices in life incur opportunity costs,
3. and rational decision making is crucial in determining the outcome of choices.
Game synopsis: "Meet Bryan, boy-next-door and looking forward to life. Guide Bryan and help him make decisions to get through life. Will Bryan be a straight-As student? A super athlete? An entrepreneur?
Decision, decisions, decisions... There's no free lunch. Each choice comes with trade-offs and opportunity costs. What will you give up to achieve what you want?"
The game itself is free-to-play and available at these download links:
What you get from this Teachers Pay Teachers package is a comprehensive lesson plan that shows you how the game can be used in your classroom.
Our ArcLab Lesson Plan has 3 components:
1. Teacher’s guide for the Learning Game – For teachers to facilitate students learning the topic's specific concepts interactively
2. Quiz Questions – For teachers’ consideration to assign to students to test their understanding on the topic
3. Suggested Reading – Curated weblinks which we’d like to suggest for teachers’ consideration for your students.