Arctopia: Monopoly Power is a digital educational game by ArcLab, which teachers can use in class to allow students to play the role of a firm seeking to become a price-discriminating monopoly.
Arctopia: Monopoly Power is iTunes-featured.
Through experiencing the application of Price Discrimination strategies when running a cafe business in the Learning Game, students will be able to more fully understand
1. the different types of Price Discrimination and examples of each
2. the effects of implementing different Price Discrimination strategies on the market, and the impact on their firm’s profit levels,
3. and the reasons behind, and the effects of price regulation by the government.
Game synopsis: "You have built upon your Monopoly Coffee Empire in the town of Arctopia.
As a Monopoly, you now have the power to implement price-discrimination strategies that allows you to maximise profits from your customers.
Understanding your market and demographics is of utmost importance to applying the right strategies, but also be aware of the consumers' happiness as any price strategies you apply will affect them. If you upset your consumers too much, you might cause an outrage, and the government might step in to regulate the industry."
The game itself is free-to-play and available at these download links:
What you get from this Teachers Pay Teachers package is a comprehensive lesson plan that shows you how the game can be used in your classroom.
Our ArcLab Lesson Plan has 3 components:
1. Teacher’s guide for the Learning Game – For teachers to facilitate students learning the topic's specific concepts interactively
2. Quiz Questions – For teachers’ consideration to assign to students to test their understanding on the topic
3. Suggested Reading – Curated weblinks which we’d like to suggest for teachers’ consideration for your students.