Your students will love
this highly interactive
Area Model Multiplication lesson!
This lesson can stand alone, or be used in conjunction with my Area Model Multiplication YouTube instructional video
! I created both the lesson plan and video to work hand-in-hand to support student engagement, knowledge, and achievement!
The lesson plan is aligned with the Common Core State Standards and the Ontario Curriculum Expectations. By the end of the lesson, students will:
1. Demonstrate that they are reflecting on and monitoring their thinking to help clarify their understanding;
2. Solve problems involving the multiplication of multi-digit whole numbers using an area model;
3. Apply area model multiplication to a variety of situations including complex, multi-step problem-solving situations, explorations, and investigations.
Lesson Package Includes:
Complete lesson plan detailing:
• Learning goals
• Common Core State Standards
• Ontario Curriculum Expectations
• Lesson materials
• Preparation requirements (minimal!)
• Connections to prior knowledge and skills
• Common misunderstandings and misconceptions
• Mini-lesson includes:
o Minds-On whole-class discussion designed to encourage discourse and prepare students for the upcoming lesson
o Action! Containing the learning (including video instruction) and questions to develop, deepen, and demonstrate knowledge and understanding
o Consolidation/ Debrief will review and expand on the learning and will help the teacher determine whether the learning goals were met, which will inform future instructional moves
• Modification and Differentiation considerations
• Take-away/ Review/ Homework Activity – a reflective journal activity with guiding questions
• Assessment tools
• Next Steps for learning
• Teacher self-reflection tool
The lesson package also includes appendices containing:
• Minds-On Questions
• Apply Your Knowledge questions providing students multiple points of entry to their learning
• Small group Area Model Multiplication questions
• Additional Extra Practice Questions for differentiation
• Journal response questions for reflection
• Teacher answer sheet for the entire lesson (not just the student hand-outs!)
The approximate lesson length is 60 minutes, but can easily be extended or divided into multiple lessons!
You might be interested in:
: Partial Product MultiplicationFREE
digital download: Math Lesson Plan Template
Other Math resources by EJFullerton: Order of Operations Math Lesson Plan
Follow EJFullerton on social media:
Visit my website for additional information, resources, and my educational blog!
View my Area Model Multiplication video lesson here: Area Model Multiplication by EJFullerton
Note: The Area Model Multiplication YouTube video is free to everyone and is not included in the sale price of this product, nor is it part of this product package.