Area Multiplication: Designed so that ANYONE can succeed when multiplying large numbers!
I developed this series on Area Multiplication for the handful of 6th grade students who come to my class each year and do not know their multiplication facts. Because of this gap in their learning, they are unable to fulfill the common core educational standards for multiplication or division. I needed to create a strategy that they could use until they learned all their multiplication facts.
I developed Area Multiplication in a similar manner to my series on division; by incorporating skip counting, (I refer to it as “counting by the numbers” in my videos).
The first chapter of this book is dedicated to teaching students my strategy on area multiplication, and each problem is linked to a tutorial video. The second chapter in this book is dedicated to drilling the strategies taught in chapter 1. Each page has four problems, each of which is also linked to a video tutorial.
There are five levels in this series on Area Multiplication. I have incorporated a cyclical learning approach, where each educational concept is first introduced, then reinforced, then revisited again and again. Each subsequent level rises to the next level of difficulty.
Chapter 1 is designed to scaffold concepts.
First, Students are introduced to a concept with a “WATCH ME” demonstrational video. I have my students copy this problem into their notebooks, or onto a separate piece of paper that they keep in a portfolio.
Next, students continue developing their skills by working side-by-side with me, while they watch the “WORK WITH ME” video.
Finally, students perfect their skills by completing problems on their own. After completing each problem, students watch the “ON YOUR OWN” videos. In the videos, they are reminded, “Do NOT worry if you make a mistake. Simply pause the video, and fix your mistake. That is the fastest way to learn.” These last videos teach independence and a deeper understanding of area multiplication.
This series can be used in the following ways:
· Intervention for children who have gaps in their learning. I have used this series with my 6th graders who do not know all their multiplication facts and can not multiply larger numbers. My struggling students have had AMAZING results! I start them on Book 1 and they are able to work independently through the series until they reach grade level proficiency.
· Differentiation – Because there are 5 tutorial videos that accompany the problems in chapter 1, virtually every child in your class can work independently and at their individual level of understanding.
· Extensions for children who need to be challenged.
· Current Content for students that are at grade level, but an alternative strategy for multiplying large numbers.
· Extra Support for children who can use practice with multiplication.
· Reinforcement for children who need a bit more time with multiplication.
How To Use This Book:
1. Upload the PDF into your Google Classroom.
2. Have your students solve each problem and then correct their own work, while watching the video tutorials.
When I review their work, I write something like “FANTASTIC!”, “You are Awesome!”, or “Superb Work My Friend!” on the students’ papers. As long as they find their mistake and fix it, they are learning. The positive reinforcement statements do wonders for building students’ academic self-confidence.
Get TPT Credit to Use on Future Purchases!
• Please go to your MY PURCHASES page after you log in. Beside each purchase see a PROVIDE FEEDBACK button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you can use to lower the cost of your future purchases.
I value positive feedback and appreciate kind ratings and comments. If you have any issues, questions, or see a small mistake, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, before leaving negative feedback. I will do my best to fix any issues as soon as possible! I really want you to enjoy your purchase and come back to my store for future products.
Have a great day – Brian McCoy