Area, Perimeter and ratio with Mondrian is a set of seven activities for students to explore area, perimeter and ratio.
- Students are introduced to the artwork of Piet Mondrian and then create their own Mondrian style artwork which they use as the basis for exploring area, perimeter and ratio.
- Students use their artwork to calculate perimeter, area and ratio. They play with the impact of changing the scale and colors on ratio.
- Students identify ways to increase the ratio of colors by set amounts. They change ratios and areas through different colors and even calculate area and ratios for the whole classes set of drawings.
- These activities can be used as a whole class or set up as sequential projects at math activity stations. Excellent for differentiation and sparking interest into the complexity of mathematics.
This detailed guide includes:
- Complete teacher’s guide for 2 weeks of 45 minute lessons
- 20 pages of ready-to-use Student Handouts
- A complete list of materials
- A presentation on the work of Piet Mondrian and accompanying informational text
Use independently or as part of the 5th and 6th Grade Math Projects that use Art Bundle
Skills Developed in this lesson:
- Students will understand the concept of a ratio and use ratio language to describe the ratio relationship between two quantities (CCSS.MATH.RP.A)
- Students will recognize and represent rational relationships between quantities (CCSS.MATH.RP.A.)
- Students will apply area and perimeter formulas to real world and mathematical problems (CCSS.MATH.MD.A.)
- Students will explore rational relationships through multiple activities.
Also available as part of the $$ saving 6th Grade Math Ultimate Teacher Resource Bundle - Growing
This purchase is for one teacher only.
This resource is not to be shared with colleagues or used by an entire grade level, school, or district without purchasing the proper number of licenses. If you are interested in a site license, please contact me for a quote at firstname.lastname@example.org. This resource may not be uploaded to the internet in any form, including classroom/personal websites or network drives.
Did you know you can earn TPT credits easily?
- Go to your My Purchases page when you login
- Click on the provide feedback button. Quickly rate the product and leave a quick note.
- Each time you give feedback, you earn TPT credit to spend on future purchases.
Get the Scoop
Find out about weekly deals, sales, product launches, free stuff and giveaways by clicking on the follow me