Can't find enough word problems? If you are like me, it is a difficult task to gather enough word problems to provide an adequate amount of that much needed practice.
These 20 word problems focus on area, surface area, and volume. One problem requires the use of the Pythagorean Theorem. Most of the task cards include multiple questions. Some of the questions are not traditional calculation problems. For example, students may have to find the height of a figure when given the volume.
The content is a bit hard to categorize due to the multi-step nature of the problems, but here are the basics:
- Area, often composite (7 problems)
- Volume of cube (1 problem)
- 1 surface area of a cube
- Volume of a rectangular prism (5 problems)
- Volume of a cylinder (1 problem)
- Volume of a triangular prism (1 problem)
- Volume of a cone (2 problems)
- Volume of a sphere (1 problem)
- Volume of a rectangular pyramid (1 problem)
- Surface area rectangular prism (1 problem)
Hint: If you provide formulas, students can solve problems that involve figures they may not have learned about yet, such as cones or spheres.
I have created these word problems to resemble those that may appear on standardized tests requiring students to apply skills. This is a challenging set of task cards that will make your students think!
Please check out the preview to see sample questions and to judge the difficulty of the word problems. They are most appropriate for students in a pre-algebra or geometry course.
Check out other sets of task cards or buy the money-saving bundle!
- Word Problems Task Card Bundle
- Mixed Topic Word Problems Task Cards
- Scientific Notation Word Problems Task Cards