Area and Perimeter Design a Zoo Challenge PRINT and DIGITAL
- Google Apps™
Also included in
- This 9 day area and perimeter math unit includes 9 easy to teach lessons that reinforce 3rd grade area and perimeter concepts and introduce 4th grade common core standards (4.MD.A.3). Skills taught include: what are area and perimeter and how are they measured?finding area and perimeter by tiling anPrice $15.05Original Price $21.50Save $6.45
- This bundle includes 3 differentiated project based learning projects: Level 1: Design a Farm Challenge - students design a farm with vegetable gardens and animal enclosures using a minimum required area and perimeter. This resource uses smaller numbers and a larger grid. It's perfect for 3rd grade.Price $8.05Original Price $11.50Save $3.45
- This year long fourth grade math bundle includes 132 math lessons spanning 11 different units. All lessons are common core aligned and cover all CCSS standards required for 4th grade math!Begin with each unit guide (these are free and linked below!). The lesson plans will walk you through each unitPrice $196.00Original Price $392.00Save $196.00
In this math project based learning activity, students use area and perimeter to design their own zoos. They must adhere to the minimum size for animal enclosures and other project guidelines as they construct their zoos. After designing their zoos, students must list the area and perimeter of each animal enclosure to ensure that they are large enough. This resource includes:
- teacher directions
- a force copy link to a Google Slides DIGITAL version of the activity (with rubric)
- student directions and project guidelines
- all printable materials needed to construct the zoos
- a scoring rubric
- a finished example
I always assign this project as part of my 4th grade area and perimeter unit and it is a favorite year after year! Take a look at the preview file for a full look at this resource.
For an easier version of this project, check out my Area and Perimeter Design a Farm Challenge. For a more challenging version (that includes volume of rectangular prisms), check out Area, Perimeter, and Volume Design a City Challenge. Or buy the bundle of all 3 to save 30%! Great for differentiation!
Please follow my store here for more great resources!
You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram, and lafountaineofknowledge.com where you'll discover ideas, inspiration, and plenty of freebies! Or join my email list to get my monthly newsletter with exclusive FREE resources you can't get anywhere else!
Want free money to spend on Teachers Pay Teachers? Rate this product to earn some TpT credit! Leaving feedback helps us both out and takes less than a minute! Your support makes it possible for me to continue making and sharing great resources! Thank you!
Click for more math crafts and project based learning activities!
Credits: created the animal clip art used in this product and created the border. Other clipart was designed by and . All clipart was used with permission. Photographs by Shea LaFountaine of LaFountaine of Knowledge. Fonts used include Boogaloo by John Vargas Beltran and Pangolin by Kevin Burke. Both were used with permission under open source licenses.