Students create their own blueprints for a dream house. Once they create the blueprint on the included grid paper, they calculate the area and perimeter using square units and units. This project includes:
1. Directions for the project
2. A thinking map to brainstorm ideas for fun rooms
3. A practice page for the blueprint
4. A chart to record the area and perimeter of each room
5. Two neat pages for scratch work
6. A final draft grid paper
7. An explanation of area and perimeter with examples.
8. A money extension
9. An art extension
10. Tips for the teacher
11. An example
I use this in my third grade class, but it is appropriate for 3-6 grades.