This is a comprehensive argument essay unit I use with my 8th graders. But this could be used for 7th-10th grade classrooms when adapted to fit student needs.
Included in this unit are:
- Three different prompts my students are allowed to choose from, including some resources they may use as their research.
- Research gathering activity including graphic organizers
- Main Claim/Thesis statement instructions and practice
- Attention-getter/hook identification and practice activity
- Sample Intro Paragraph identification and annotation activity.
- Sample Body paragraph identification and annotations instructions with practice activity.
- Counterargument and rebuttal instructions and activity
- Step by step outline
- A rubric for ease of grading
- Bad sample student essay with annotation instructions and questions for student reflection
- Good sample student essay with annotation instructions and questions for student reflection
- Student reflection activity
These are all easily able to be edited by the teacher to fit the topics and needs of the classroom and the needs of the students.
I also have an Informative/Explanatory Essay Unit available on TpT