If you want to have a classroom debate but don't know where to begin or how to run one, this resource is for you. I've included topic cards, outlines for the format, handouts, and detailed instructions. But this can be used for more than just debating. The topic cards are perfect for having students practice writing argumentative and persuasive paragraphs.
Included in the digital download:
• 117 different topics for debate. For each topic, an affirmative argument AND a negative counterargument is provided, for a total of 234 different stances!
• Instructions for having a classroom debate
• Definitions of terms students should know
• Student handouts for taking notes, researching, and writing their claims/ counterclaims
• Outlines for the format of the debate
• Peer evaluation checklist
• Grading criteria/rubrics
The rubrics include the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) alignment, but are also offered WITHOUT the standards listed for those who do NOT use the CCSS.
These rubrics ARE included in this download:
Student Presentation: Debate/Argument (Grades 8-12)
Peer Evaluation for Argument/Debate (Grades 8-12)
If you need graphic organizers and rubrics aligned with the Common Core State Standards, check out my high school bundle here:
Common Core Bundle for Grades 9-12
Middle school bundle is here:
Common Core Bundle for Grades 6, 7, 8
I have additional resources for assessing and practicing the skills in the Common Core State Standards. You can find all my Common Core State Standards resources here: Common Core Resources and Teaching Materials
Created and Copyrighted by Tracee Orman
Mrs. Orman's Classroom