This three to four day lesson plan is ideal for introducing students to the rhetorical devices ethos, pathos, logos. Students will learn to define the terms and identify them in famous movie and literature speeches. After a short, interactive lecture, students will engage in a teacher-led investigation in how ethos, pathos, and logos are employed in popular culture.
A supplemental worksheet and lecture is included if you feel students need more practice and collaboration.
Common Core aligned for high school.
Students will then explore these rhetorical devices by crafting their own speeches and sharing those with the classroom. Lastly, students will then discuss how to move from identifying and using these rhetorical devices into thesis statements and subsequently qualifying them.
Note: The preview only shows select slides.
- Argument and Persuasion Writing Lecture with Discussion Presentation
- Ethos, Pathos, Logos Lecture with Discussion Presentation
- Utilizing Ethos, Pathos, Logos + Qualified Statements Presentation
- Utilizing Ethos, Pathos, Logos Activity Worksheet
- Utilizing Ethos, Pathos, Logos Activity Worksheet Completed Example
- Supplemental Group Practice (homework or activity)
- Suggested Lesson Plan Schedule