This is a student essay-writing packet designed to teach students how to write a text-based argumentative essay. This complete resource guides students through the essay-writing process from analyzing the prompt to revising and peer-editing. It includes the following:
• Academic Vocabulary,
• Sample Essay with guided questions,
• Writing Prompt and Passage Set (3 high-interest articles),
• Graphic organizers for note-taking and essay-planning,
• Revision and peer-editing checklist
• Grading Rubric (for easy scoring and feedback)
• Answer keys for prompt analysis and notes
There are 20 pages of material in all in this print-ready resource. It includes two ready-to-print versions: one designed for grade 6 and below that does not refer to the counterclaim, and one designed for grades 7 and above which teaches students how to write an essay with a counterclaim.
These resources were designed for use in the 6th or 7th grade standard ELA classroom, but they would also be useful for advanced 5th graders or as remediation for older students. Sample prompt, passage set, and writing pages mirror the look of the FSA Writing Assessment (Florida state assessment), however the FSA Standards are virtually identical to common core, so the resource would benefit any Common Core classroom.