Help your high school and advanced middle school students win their written arguments with these easy-to-follow essay writing materials. This bundle of interactive, step-by-step materials inspires even my most reluctant students to put pen to paper. Activities/handouts featuring modern design elements will guide your students as they learn to craft their own meaningful and effective argumentative essays. Easy prep for you; excellent growth for your students’ writing skills.
Just print and teach!
• Elements of Argumentative Writing lecture (includes both Prezi and Google Slides versions) featuring interactive elements and clear explanations of claim, reasons, evidence, and placement of counterclaims
• Fill-in-the-blank handout to guide students’ note-taking during the lecture
• Two well-written student essays (one pro, one con) on the topic of whether energy drinks should be allowed to be sold to minors; formatted with MLA guidelines and includes Works Cited pages for both essays
• “Deconstruct the Essays” activity where students identify five specific argumentative writing elements in the sample essays
• List of 42 argumentative essay topics/prompts that will appeal to today’s teens
• “Organize Your Argument” attractively designed graphic organizer to help students with pre-writing brainstorming and information organization
• “Feeling Stuck?” list of transitions and transitional phrases to serve as a writing aid for students
• Argumentative Essay content grading rubric to help ease your grading load
The bundle includes 17 PDF pages and 20 slides.
If your students don’t already know the rules of M.L.A., be sure to check out this citation formatting lesson with lecture and handout. Also, grab this free M.L.A. first-page submission handout to help students who need a model of proper formatting.
NOTE: This item is also included in my English 9-10 full-year curriculum. If you already own the full-year download, please do not purchase this item here individually. If you’d like to receive this item plus everything else needed to teach 180 days of English 9 or English 10 at a deeply discounted price, click here to learn more about the full-year curriculum download.
Thanks for stopping by!
Cover image credit: Pixabay, Public domain