Editable persuasive essay writing unit includes complete plans and scaffolded students handouts for English Language Arts grades 5 - 8.
Help your students master the writing process by taking them through it step-by-step.
This persuasive essay packet includes....
1. Teacher instructions - complete instructions including content notes and suggested pacing
2. Student handout - a 10-page guide that walks the students through the writing process. This includes....
* Teaching them the format of a formal 5-paragraph essay
* Helping them choose a topic
* Guiding them through writing a thesis statement and good topic sentences
* Instructing them how to write a rough draft
* Providing them checklists to both rewrite then edit their drafts
3. Two grading options - both a hollistic and rubric grading form are provided with instructions for how to use each of them.
4. Sample essay - the sample essay can be used as an example for students
The file also includes both a PDF and editable Word version of the file.
This packet provides step-by-step instructions for a formal, five-paragraph essay. The focus of the exercise is on the structure and format for a formal, five-paragraph persuasive essay.
I used this process when teaching 6th grade English, and found it to be incredibly helpful in teaching both the format and structure as well as reinforcing the writing process.
Let me know if you have any questions.
This unit is part of the discounted Writing Units Bundle. Click here to find out more about the writing units bundle.
Want to try it out first? Click here to get my Compare/Contrast writing unit for free.