This zip file contains six separate documents:
1. A PDF presentation mini lesson (complete with information about the difference between persuasive and argumentative writing, the structure of an argumentative research paragraph, ideas for how to support an argument, and guidance for how to evaluate 2 sample argumentative paragraphs. MLA guidelines for citing sources are not included.)
2. Guided notes for the presentation (student friendly with room for students to evaluate the sample paragraphs)
3. A graphic organizer for prewriting so that students can write their own argumentative paragraphs
4. A user-friendly rubric based on the 6+1 Traits of Writing with a category added for research and MLA format.
5. A second version of a rubric that is ideal for at-risk or struggling writers. This document is editable in Microsoft Word.
6. A peer-reviewing sheet students can use to give one another feedback. This document is editable in Microsoft Word.
This lesson is very successful for my freshmen. I use it as a stepping stone to teach them the basics of high school writing before they write a larger research essay. I have also successfully used it with my co-taught classes as a differentiation option.
This tool will help you to introduce writing in a way that won't overwhelm your students (and that's quick to grade!).
Please note that this product does not contain topics for an argumentative writing paragraph at this time, although I may add a topic list in the future.
If you like this product, you might also be interested in other writing materials available in my store...
Writing an Effective Thesis Statement Lesson
Writing Pre-assessment for Middle and High School
Color-Coded Essay Graphic Organizer
The Writing Games! Engaging MLA Research and Writing Skills Dice Game
Embedding MLA Quotations Station Activities
MLA Research and Writing Skills Unit Assessment or Final Exam or Question Bank
The Writing Process Minilesson
Seven Deadly Sins of Sentence Fluency
Rules for Commas & Semicolons
Playlist of My Year: An Engaging and Relevant End-of-the-Year Writing Assignment
Verbals Practice or Review Worksheet, Activity, & Task Cards
Sentence Types Practice
Conjunctions Review Bundle
Grammar Games Bundle for Test Review
And more here!
Stay in touch:
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
© 2017 The Reading & Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.