Argumentative Text 5 Day Unit
- Google Apps™
What educators are saying
Also included in
- This argumentative text bundle has everything you need for the week!The 5-day Argumentative Text Unit will help you teach your students to recognize and identify the characteristics and structures of argumentative text (ie. the author's claim, the intended audience, and the facts & evidence usePrice $14.40Original Price $18.00Save $3.60
Students will analyze the characteristics and structure of an argumentative text.
Need a resource that helps your third graders understand the characteristics and structure of argumentative text? This 5-day argumentative text unit is the perfect tool to walk you and your students through identifying the author's claim, the intended audience, and the facts & evidence used to support the claim. Your students will then analyze these characteristics & structures to evaluate the author's claim and compare arguments made about the same topic.
⭐Reading Lesson Resources:
- Day 1 – Introduction to Characteristics and Structure of Argumentative Text (Video & PowerPoint Lesson 1)
- Day 2 – Evaluating the Author's Claim (PowerPoint Lesson 2)
- Day 3 – Evaluating and Comparing Argumentative Texts (PowerPoint Lesson 3)
- Day 4 – Partner Work - Comparing Arguments within an Argumentative Text
- Day 5 – Assessment – This reading passage has 6 multiple choice questions and 4 short answer questions.
- 4 Original Argumentative Text Articles for Lessons, Practice, & Assessment
- Graphic Organizers/Student Response Sheets
- Mini-Anchor Chart Handout
⭐Read Aloud Resources:
- Mentor Text List of Argumentative Articles Online
- Persuasive Picture Book List
- Think Aloud Stems
Vocabulary words are taken from the argumentative text included with the unit.
- Read Aloud with a Vocabulary Focus Lesson
- Vocabulary Word Cards & Picture Cards
- “Mirrors with Words” and Words in Context Activities
- Vocabulary Assessment
Grammar Focus: Prepositions and Prepositional Phrases
- The grammar resources in this unit follow the mentor sentence structure derived from Jeff Anderson's method and are designed to accompany the week's mentor text.
- 4 Days of Mentor Sentence Lesson Plans
- Explanation of Mentor Sentences
- PowerPoint Presentation to Accompany Mentor Sentence
- Student Handout/Recording Sheet
⭐Response to Text Questions
- These 5 response to text prompts can be used in reading response journals, as quick writes, in a writing station, or as open-ended discussion questions.
- Note - These are not intended to replace mini-lessons or writing instruction.
- These 5 writing prompts are perfect for your writing station.
These argumentative text lesson plans are TEKS and Common Core aligned. See the preview for an overview of what will be taught throughout the week.
Argumentative text can be a difficult genre for our students. The level & grade of your students will determine the amount of scaffolding required from you while teaching this unit. I suggest that 3rd-grade teachers introduce the genre with the video (linked in lesson 1). Third graders will likely need a lot of support with this.
⭐ What Other Buyers Are Saying:
"I really enjoyed how these texts were structured. They really helped the kids see the differences between types of evidence authors can use to support their argument."
"This is a great product for a tricky unit to plan for! I love all of the resources and the planning made easy. Thank you for this resource!"
"I love everything about this unit and the supplements for my 3rd grade class. Very engaging and easy to speak discussion with this age. They were interested and really enjoyed being able to argue their own point of view."
"I teach multi-level students. This resource is great. They can be used as worksheets or you can chunk parts, laminate, and make into stations."
"Very comprehensive and engaging unit of study!"
Check out the Argumentative Text Bundle!
What Others Have Said About The Bundle:
"This was the perfect resource for teaching argumentative texts. It is TEKs aligned and includes everything that could be needed and more."
"This is a great resource! Easy to use, designed very well and purposefully."
"This was just what I needed to teach Argumentative text with my 3rd graders!"
✨ All my new products are 50% off for the first 24 hours. Click here to follow my store and receive notifications when I create something new so you don't miss out on the savings.
I’d love to hear from you if you have any questions, issues, or requests!
❤ Laura Heinen
Copyright © Cultivating Critical Readers, LLC.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.