PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This is a 80-page exciting student-friendly ebook instructional manual and workbook for writing an argument / argumentative paper - perfect for grades 7 - 10. This unit addresses WRITING, READING, and LANGUAGE in Common Core Language. These are reading and writing techniques that can be used for cross-curricular writing in Language Arts, Science, Social Studies, Physical Education... you name it!
Want a HARD COPY printed, bound, and delivered directly to you? CLICK HERE.
With this student-friendly manual, students learn how to read and write argument/persuasive papers step-by-step. The following topics are addressed:
* Argumentative Writing
* The Paper Chain: Overview
* Argument Writing: Flow Chart
* Practice Identifying the Argument
* Effective Argument (word choice)
* Practice Generating an Argument
* Generating your own Argument
* Practice Identifying Claims
* Claims and Supporting Evidence
* Generating Claims: Supporting the Argument
* Practice Identifying Evidence
* Organizing Evidence
* Claims and Supporting Evidence
* Quoting Evidence
* A Search for Evidence
* Collecting Evidence: Internet Search
* Is this Website Credible?
* Practice Determining Credible Evidence
* Homework: Find Your Own Evidence
* Adding a Counterclaim
* Deconstructing a Counterclaim
* Writing a Body Paragraph: Organization
* Reasoning / Links: Explaining Evidence
* The Whole Paper = A TERCon Sandwich
* Citing Sources: Avoiding Plagiarism
* Other Ways to Say ‘Said’
* Bibliography / Works Cited
* Peer Revising
* Peer Revising Sample
* Revision Checklist
* Model/Exemplar Paper
* How to get an Advanced Score
* Sentence Fluency: Appositives
* Why Appositives Are Important
* Appositives Practice
* Commonly Misspelled Words
* Editing Shortcuts and Practice
* Answer Key
This manual is filled with models, examples, and practice, as well as easy-to-follow visuals and charts. You can print out the manual as a hard copy workbook for students or, as I do in my one-to-one iPad school, email it to my students as an ebook to reference all year.
Using this workbook, alongside writing a paper, will take approximately 2 months, depending on your grade-level and pace. I share a lot of information about my students and how we use this workbook on my blog.
This workbook is a great complement to my top-selling item, Argumentative Writing Unit
If you are interested in learning more about the TELCon writing method, scaffolding, and tiered writing interventions, please visit: Cross-Curricular Prompt Writing for Middle & High School
This book is also available in paperback at Lulu.com for $30 - click here to purchase a hard copy.
© 2014 Kristen Dembroski. All rights reserved. Purchase of this unit entitles the purchaser only the right to reproduce the pages in limited quantities for classroom use only. Duplication for an entire school, an entire school system or commercial purposes is strictly forbidden.
Copying any part of this product and placing it on the internet in any form (even a personal/classroom website) is strictly forbidden and is a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). These items can be picked up in a Google search and then shared worldwide for free.