Also included in
- Narrative, Argumentative, and Informational Writing will be so much easier to teach with these step-by-step units that lead your students seamlessly through the process! Grab this bundle at a nice discount and have all three standards-based writing units. You’ll love the scaffolded activities that$19.99$25.40Save $5.41
Argumentative Essay Writing will be a breeze with this step-by-step resource designed to lead your students with models and supports through the entire process.
Easy-to-follow writing templates guide students in drafting all five paragraphs! Includes a sample essay to motivate student writers and model strong writing. CCSS-aligned.
Note: Amended pages are included for 6th-grade teachers (or non-Common Core) who do not wish to include the counterclaim.
Teachers who have used this resource say
-- "PERFECT! Using with 6th grade and things are broken down perfectly so it is not overwhelming."
-- "This package was extremely helpful due to its breakdown of argumentative writing. It was fresh, fun, and creative!"
-- "This resource helps limit the stress that some of my students have when they write. Thank you for sharing this amazing product."
-- "A great resource that helps keep kids focused throughout the writing process."
-- "This product is amazing. It has literally everything you will need to teach argumentative writing. I used it with my 6th-grade gifted class and it worked like a charm!"
-- "Papers turned out great!"
**Need this resource for DISTANCE LEARNING? Click over to this link for the DIGITAL version: Argumentative Essay DIGITAL – Argument Writing for Google Drive or Microsoft
This Product Contains:
1. ARGUMENTATIVE ESSAY STRUCTURE – The assignment is explained along with a visual representation of the 5-paragraph structure of the essay.
2. TOPIC CHOICES – A page that provides 12 argumentative topic choices and also offers students the opportunity to choose topics of their own (with teacher approval) ***I've included an Editable Topics Choices page so you are able to make changes for any of the suggested topics.
3. INTERNET RESEARCH – Students take notes from web sites on these handouts and are instructed how to document information for citing their sources.
4. PRE-WRITING ORGANIZER – A visually-appealing graphic organizer where students fill in key information for the essay.
5. WRITING THE INTRODUCTION – A page that contains instructions and examples for writing an attention grabber and a fill-in template (with supports) for drafting the entire introduction
6. STUDENT EXAMPLES OF AN INTRODUCTION – Two different well-written introductions are demonstrated, with parts of each introduction labeled
7. WRITING BODY PARAGRAPHS – Fill-in templates (with supports) guide students as they write their body paragraphs
8. WRITING THE COUNTERCLAIM – A fill-in template for drafting the counterclaim paragraph includes writing instruction and a model counterclaim paragraph.
9. WRITING THE CONCLUSION – A fill-in template (with supports) guides students as they write a concluding paragraph
10. WRITING THE WORKS CITED – An attractive handout shows students the correct formats for citing their sources, with sample entries provided
11. MENTOR TEXT – A sample argumentative essay entitled “Red-Light Cameras Save Lives” demonstrates format, content, and writing expectations as a model for student writing.
12. WRITING TIPS – A page of transitions, strong words, and other writing tips to guide student writing
13. STUDENT SELF-EVALUATION CHECKLIST – Students evaluate their process and product on a checklist.
14. AMENDED PAGES FOR 6th GRADE and NON-COMMON CORE TEACHERS – Six “amended” pages are provided for teachers who do not wish to include a counterclaim in the essay. (6th-grade Common Core does not require the counterclaim.)
15. GRADING RUBRIC - A 4-point rubric for grading the essays
16. TEACHER GUIDELINES AND COMMON CORE STANDARDS – Detailed, step-by-step guidelines for using this resource along with Common Core standards and differentiation
You will love the organization of this resource and the “scaffolds” that help students produce strong writing!
Please open the PREVIEW to get a closer look.
NOTE: Please do not purchase this product if you previously purchased my Persuasive Essay resource. You can download THIS PRODUCT as an upgrade on your My Purchases page!
You may also like:
---Yes! Join my list to receiveTeaching Tips, New Product Updates, and FREEBIES from Joy