This photo essay activity and presentation is a great tool for starting or expanding on your unit for argumentative and/or persuasive writing.
Look all around. People use photos to sell us on issues all the time. Commercials, billboards, yard signs they all use images to capture the audience. Photos are used to sell, make a point, argue, and as evidence.
This unit emphasizes the value of photos and raises their impact to a new educational level.
The assignment: Using a series of photos students will create an argument and corresponding presentation that shares a message with their audience. The message is carefully crafted and organized to make sure the point of the argument is made, but no words are allowed!
- Photo Essay Informational PowerPoint (full)
- Photo Essay Information PowerPoint (Distraction-less: includes fewer words, easier fonts to read, less use of red, fewer decorative images. This version is better for students with distraction/focus issues and B/W printing.)
- Instructor's Script (Goes along with the PowerPoint lesson)
- Teacher Packet (editable PDF) (includes editable pdfs for collecting thoughts leading up to the instruction, suggested standards for assessing, an editable rubric template)
- Student Packet (printable + editable PDF)
- Student Reflection Handout
- Citing Sources: Ethical Use PowerPoint (Full and Printable)
Connect with us:
I empower secondary ELA teachers with the resources + mindset they need to make the writing process more relevant, authentic, and applicable for today's learners and tomorrow's leaders.