Engaging readers is key in the elementary classroom, and this book companion will have your readers building literacy skills while having fun with this rootin' tootin' read aloud all about TEXAS! This set of materials was made to extend your reading activities with the story Armadillo Rodeo by Jan Brett. The vocabulary materials would be great for a small group/guided reading activity or at a literacy center!
: *49 pages
- Vocabulary Materials: 15 story vocabulary cards with matching definition cards
- Vocabulary follow up printables (3) cut and glue
- Design your own pair of cowboy boots
- Main idea and details
- Fill in the blanks to retell the story *word bank included
- Sequence the story *with text cut and glue
- Sequence the story *with pictures cut and glue
- Story Sequencing Picture Cards *pocket chart or small group hands on activity
- Story Sequencing number cards
- Making inferences (2)
- Story Detectives (3)
- BME cut and glue
- BME writing
- ABC Order
- Punctuation Printable
- Making words with the letters in "Armadillo Rodeo"
- Character Details for Harmony Jean
- Character Details for Bo
- WANTED! Bo has wandered off....help design a poster with his picture and a description so he can be FOUND!
- Story Elements (2)
- Story Setting
- Problem and Solution (2)
- Compare and Contrast
- Draw a prediction
- Write a prediction
- Draw your favorite part
- Write about your favorite part
Here's a link to the set of comprehension activities for this story:
Armadillo Rodeo Comprehension Packet
Here's a list of the vocabulary words covered:
Your readers will focus on identifying key story details, story elements, story sequence and recall, character details, feelings, and more! Perfect way to target comprehension skills or assess comprehension! There are lots of WH questions in this set of materials!
Game materials are available in color and black and white!
Use this for...
- book discussions in a small group setting
- independent learning stations and literacy centers
- SLP reading activities: lots of WH questions in this set!
- guided reading
- SUB tub materials
- all materials in color and black and white (so you can save some ink!)
- 30 comprehension question cards in color
- Answer Key *in color and black and white **great for your sub tub
- Game Board in color
- Spinner in color
- 30 Comprehension question cards in black and white
- Game Board in black and white
- Spinner in black and white
- Follow-Up Activity:
- True or False? Read the statements and decide if they are true or false! (2)
- Bo or Harmony Jean? Read each of the sentences and then color in the character who it is describing. *includes a graphic of a cowgirl and an armadillo after each statement for children to color in