Great for Memorial Day, Veterans' Day, Presidents' Day, and more! This Social Studies integrated art lesson is a creative alternative to simple American flag coloring pages. Use it with any units relating to patriotism, symbolism, and/or national holidays.
This lesson is embedded with fine motor skills practice. The abstract, open-ended nature of the collage encourages and fosters student creativity, and assures success for students of all abilities. The lesson includes a read-aloud of the picture book I Pledge Allegiance, by Bill Martin, Jr., which presents the vocabulary of the Pledge of Allegiance through torn paper collage illustrations.
Patriotic Colors Torn Paper Collage is included in Three Literature-Integrated Art Lessons for Kindergarten
The lesson includes the following:
- a list of art concepts and skills addressed
- national visual arts standards information
- a list of materials needed
- targeted art and related vocabulary
- suggestions for use of the read-aloud book
- detailed steps for introducing the lesson
- step-by-step directions for the art activity
- ideas for extending or varying the lessons
- ideas for looking at and discussing art
- ideas for connecting the activity to other curricular areas
- writing extension ideas
• a stars template to copy onto construction paper
• a literature response template in two versions, one with lines and one without
• an art reflection worksheet suitable for emergent writers
The lesson should take about an hour.
This art lesson is designed to teach art appreciation, artist behavior, and art analysis, and to foster authentic art-making and art education.
National Core Visual Arts Standards are listed at the beginning of the lesson.
Because I teach in California, this lesson also includes a list of the California Visual Arts Standards addressed for suggested grade levels. Please note that listed grade levels are suggestions only; any of these lessons can be simplified or made more complex to work for any elementary grade.
******* NOTE *******
Another version of this lesson, Patriotic Colors Cut Paper Collage,
is designed for older students.
Motor Skills Task Cards
-- perfect for a hands-on center or independent choice time
More Art lessons and Art-integrated resources:
Art Task Cards
- self-directed Art activities for early finishers or Art centers
Start With Art
- five exploratory Art lessons with focus on elements of art
Integrating Art Across the Curriculum Sampler Bundle
- five integrated Art lessons
Need art lessons to last an entire school year?
Save money with my Art All Year MegaBundle!
I am a retired elementary classroom teacher, a former art teacher, an artist and a writer. I have a Multiple Subjects credential, a Single Subject credential for Art and English, LDS/ESL certification, a Master’s Degree in Elementary Education with a Mathematics focus, and Montessori certification. I have worked with all elementary grades, and with special groups including ELL, GATE, and At-Risk students. Creating Art With Kids
lessons and resources are designed to foster student creativity, choice, and independence, and to encourage authentic art-making. Consideration is given to developmental appropriateness, differentiation possibilities, and teacher individuality. For this reason, directions are general, expectations are open-ended, and clip art on student pages is kept to a minimum.
Ways to connect with me:
Blog: Creating Art With Kids
Facebook: Creating Art With Kids
Pinterest: Renee Goularte
Find out about new products, discounts, and freebies!
Look for the “follow me” link near the store logo at the top of the page. Become a follower to receive email updates about my products.
Get TpT credits!
Provide feedback on purchased products for TpT credits toward future purchases. Look in your “My Purchases” page for the “Provide Feedback” button.