PROJECT LENGTH: 5 days (with hour-long class periods)
DESCRIPTION: Throughout the appreciation portion of this lesson, students will describe, analyze, and interpret the artworks of Art Nouveau artists including Gustav Klimt. Students will also learn about the art movement of Art Nouveau and a variety of artworks of the movement. For the creation portion of this lesson, students will use the art elements of line and shape as well as the design principles of pattern, unity, emphasis, and contrast to create their own Art Nouveau celebrity portraits.
1. Powerpoint which includes step by step project instructions, student exemplars, teacher exemplar, master artworks, and information on the Gustav Klimt's life and art as well as the Art Nouveau movement.
2. Gustav Klimt reading and comprehension questions.
3. Answer key to Gustav Klimt reading comprehension questions.
- Metallic Sharpie markers
- 9" x 12" black drawing or construction paper
- Students will be formatively assessed on their knowledge of line, shape, composition, contrast and emphasis while creating their Art Nouveau celebrity portraits.
- Warm Up and Exit Ticket questions.
- Discussion questions about Art Nouveau artworks as well as applicable art elements and design principles.
- Creation of their own Art Nouveau drawings, inspired by Gustav Klimt.