This 15 slide PowerPoint presentation is the perfect way to introduce art room rules to middle-schoolers. This is a fun, interactive way for the students to analyze contemporary visual culture on the very first day of school!! Students could be asked to analyze each meme and infer how this meme represents an essential art room rules. Rules covered include:
1. Always bring a pencil and an eraser to class.
2. Approach each project with a positive attitude. (Replace “I can’t….” with I’ll try….”)
3. Participate. Your thoughts and opinions about the different artists and art movements we look at this year make our discussions richer. Your participation in class discussion and projects will be reflected in your art grade.
4. Use tools and materials properly. Some of the tools we use in the art room can be dangerous, or easily broken. Treat them with respect so we can use them for many years to come.
5. Focus during art demonstrations and directions. The project demo is the most important two minutes of class. If you aren’t paying attention, you may be confused about how to move forward with your work. Distracting and disturbing others during this time is just plain rude.
6. Ask three, before me. It’s ok if you missed something during directions. We’re all human, and we all don’t get 100% of everything 100% of the time. Try asking three classmates if they can help you, and if that still doesn’t help, feel free to come to me.
7. Use an inside voice at all times. Talking during art projects is allowed, and interesting observations and connections are even encouraged! But remember, this art room is a space for you to feel comfortable, creative, and relaxed. Please, don’t negatively impact this very chill work environment.
8. Stay on task. The art room is a relaxed environment compared to other classrooms, but don’t abuse that privilege. Your effort level will be reflected in your marking period grade.
9. We all help with clean-up. Specific art room jobs will rotate on a weekly basis. Each table will have a different job each week as noted on “The Clean-Up Jobs” poster. When the bell rings, we all clean up.
10. Respect our technology. We will be using an array of technologies to complete our artwork this year: iPads, cameras, laptops. Having access to this expensive equipment is a luxury that can be taken away. Taking selfies or any kind of recording of anyone in the class is a violation of our school wide technology policy.
11. Follow our school-wide dress code in the art room too!
12. Chewing gum and food is not permitted in art class.
13. Keep your hands to yourself at all times.
14. Be on time. A blue slip will be issued for any student entering the room more than two minutes late without a pass.