Also included in
- Teach students how to ASK QUESTIONS to get a deeper understanding of what they read. Slideshow lesson and NO PREP video teaches the reading strategy. Includes 5 articles for students to practice. Each text is differentiated at three different reading levels. Modify the Google Docs and Google Slidesh$9.95$19.00Save $9.05
- SAVE TIME and MONEY! This bundle includes every single Educircles resource on my TpT store. ⭐ EIGHTEEN (18) people have purchased the EVERTYHING BUNDLE so far! ⭐When you buy this resource, please email me at Mike@educircles.org - I want to make sure you find what you need! TEACHER FEEDBACK about the$138.73$277.46Save $138.73
High-interest reading response independent work packet / handout about citizenship. A local business owner who once had his heating cut off because he struggled to pay the bills gives back to his community by paying the utility bill for 36 families in need.
Upload to your Google Classroom for Distance Learning Reading Comprehension.
This article comes in 3 differentiated reading levels:
- File 4A. Grade 7
- File 4B. Grade 10
- File 4C. Grade 4
- EACH BODY PARAGRAPH in the article is numbered.
- All 3 versions of the articles contain the same paragraph structure.
- (So paragraph 1 has the same facts in all three reading levels.)
This package includes:
- Informational Text article at 3 different reading levels
- mini lesson on Citizenship
- 4 discussion questions
- Paragraph response package for brainstorming
- Reading response rubric
- NOTE: Answer key not provided as teachers will have different expectations for quality of student writing.
✅ OPTION 1: DISTANCE LEARNING with GOOGLE CLASSROOM
Create an assignment in your Google Classroom
Attach this link so students can view the slideshow:
- Slideshow includes quick talking points from the article, discussion questions, and a video to watch.
Create a copy of the reading article for each student (FILE #4)
- There are 3 different reading levels (4a, 4b, 4c).
- Choose the one that is appropriate for your class.
- You can use a higher or lower reading level for students based on ability.
- Students answer the discussion questions directly in the Google Doc
OPTIONAL: Create a copy of the paragraph response Google Docs (FILE #5)
- Students fill out the brainstorming graphic organizer (double-entry journal)
- Students write a paragraph to one of the discussion questions
✅ OPTION 2: NO PREP Independent Work Packet
Print the NO PREP PDF (FILE #0)
- It includes everything you need for this reading article at the middle grade level (Grade 8)
- If you need a different grade level, just print the appropriate PDFs. (FILE #4a, 4b, or 4c)
✅ OPTION 3: FACE to FACE Learning / If you want to EDIT the files
- Modify the Google Slides or Google Docs to fit your specific classroom needs.
- Teach using the Google Slideshow (FILE #3)
- Give students a copy of the reading article (FILE #4a, 4b, or 4c)
- OPTIONAL: Give students a copy of the paragraph response (FILE #5)
✅ For more information visit
- Slideshow includes quick talking points from the article, discussion questions, and video.
- Includes links to the references cited in this article.
BONUS READING STRATEGY VIDEO LESSON:
- This article goes well with the reading comprehensions strategy called ASKING QUESTIONS.
- Here's a FREE YouTube VIDEO for students that explains the strategy. (This way it's easier to teach with DISTANCE LEARNING)
SAVE TIME and MONEY!!! This article is included in a bundle:
- (Critical Thinking)
- (Citizenship) - THIS LESSON
- (Assertive Communication)
ABOUT our Learning Articles
Our 21st Century Learning Articles give you information about an issue that you can discuss with your students.
- The lesson slideshow includes talking points and discussion questions on our Educircles website.
- A student handout package is available for download from our TpT store.
- This includes printable handouts of the informational text at three different reading levels in PDF and Google Docs format.
- BONUS: When we publish a new learning article, it can be downloaded for FREE for a limited time to people who subscribe to our email newsletter on Educircles.org - click here for
This package includes several files in a Google Drive folder.
- The files are numbered in the order that you need them.
- You need a Google account to be able to add the package folder to your Google Drive
According to :
- TpT will give Buyers an “Add to Google Drive” button.
- Upon tapping that, TpT will make a unique copy of your file/folder and add it to the Buyer’s Google Drive, so each Buyer has a different link unique to that Buyer.
This lesson is linked to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) as well as the Province of Ontario Language Arts Curriculum.
The preview file shows you screenshot and thumbnail previews of exactly what you get in this product.