Want your students to read more nonfiction while enjoying it and getting more out of the experience? Want to get ready for standardized reading assessments and improve your students' reading and comprehension skills? With these no prep, highly-interesting, and challenging articles for high school level, you'll see major improvements a little at a time week over week.
Why article of the week? Reading pedagogy suggests that students are most successful with a text when they revisit it more than once with a different and meaningful purpose each time. The "article of the week" approach does that. Get ready for standardized reading assessments and improve your students' reading and comprehension skills a little at a time week over week! Interesting and challenging articles for high school level!
How is this article of the week resource different? With this resource, I've designed daily tasks unique to the articles linked in that give students a meaningful and skills-based reason to revisit the article of the week again each day. With the exception of the day students are answering the provided questions, the tasks can be completed in 10 minutes or so! It would be perfect for bell ringers, RTI, test tutoring, and more! It can be used in any subject wanting to get in more reading!
What content will students be held accountable for?
- Three vocabulary words each week for words in context
- Five text-based questions each week (including skills such as central idea, author's purpose, bias, counterclaims, etc.)
- Figurative language
- Making connections with text to text, text to self, and text to world
- Synthesizing, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, Researching, and more!
Is it flexible, editable, and up-to-date? This is a classroom-tested set of 36 nonfiction articles that have been carefully curated and selected to be timeless, interesting, and grade-appropriate for high school students. Everything in this resource is in 100% editable format. Additionally, this resource provides you two, flexible options for you to implement this article of the week program: Option #1 is the projectable questions and Option #2 is the printable and reader's notebook. I've also included a daily task outline to use in order to build on the reading and responding process each day - if you want to do it that way. This a really a one-stop, flexible resource for implementing a text-based daily reading program, article of the week, or reader's notebook.
1) Two formats of the projectable questions: PDF and PPT
2) Three formats of the printable reader's notebook in ink-friendly black and white: PDF, PPT, and Google. This option is perfect if you are a paperless school because these editable files can be shared in secure online classrooms very easily!
3) Each set of questions is completely originally written and classroom tested
4) All answers are included for the questions
5) Vocabulary quizzes and answers (Printable and Editable Word Doc and Self-Checking Google Format)
6) Daily plan for reading each day in two formats: PDF and PPT
7) Rubric for easy grading
8) Mapping of weekly skills for teacher prep
9) Link to formatted articles
Some topics in this file include: grades, bottled water, refugees, overpopulation, violent video games, pumpkin spice, college dropouts, food waste, net neutrality, volcanoes, robots. Interesting and challenging articles for high school level!
Learn more before you give it a try:
Classroom success stories from other teachers who have tried this resource:
♥ "Julie's resource is going to save me hours of work that I would normally spend to find suitable articles & generate challenging questions that require thinking and closer reading of my students. I've purchased her resources in the past and I know I can always count on them for my senior English classes."
♥ "An exceptional Resource. Thank you for the wonderful collection of articles and the quizzes and worksheets to go with the articles. This is fantastic to accompany the reading and writing program we are implementing. Definitely a time saver for teachers. Thank you!!"
♥ "This is perfect for my struggling high school readers class!"
♥ "I love all of Julie Faulkner's resources. This is no exception. Thanks"
♥ "I just love everything I've purchased from Julie and this resource is no different! Zero prep required and will be incredibly helpful next year in my sophomore class. I am so excited to use this!"
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches. Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to FOLLOW ME. Voila! You will now receive email updates about my store.
For more ideas and inspiration: