This Articles of the Week can be used as a bell ringer to practice a variety of literacy skills, such as using evidence, summarizing, short response writing, and grammar practice. I have created Articles of the Week that integrate social studies standards. This Article of the Week is an informational text about Marco Polo's trip across the Silk Road to Kublai Khan's Court.
My Articles of the Week are used for a variety of purposes, including:
• Increasing comprehension and retention of content related texts.
• Add rigor and depth to content related reading.
• Require students to actively engage in learning content presented.
• Make challenging texts more accessible.
• Improve thinking through written responses.
AOWs are a vital part of my classroom. I encourage you to give them a try in your classroom. Articles of the Week are a great routine to incorporate a variety of literacy skills across the content areas.
The Articles of the Week I have created follow this routine:
• On Monday, students read the article and answer comprehension questions.
• On Tuesday, students will edit an additional paragraph on the same topic.
• On Wednesday, students will use a variety of skills that will help them better understand the text.
• On Thursday, students will write a summary or answer questions about the central idea of the text.
• On Friday, students answer a text dependent question using the A.C.E. format.
I hope you find the activities included in my Articles of the Week a valuable resource to incorporate a routine of integrating literacy into your social studies instruction.