Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Get ready for standardized reading assessments and improve your students' reading and comprehension skills a little at a time week over week with these no prep, highly-interesting, and challenging articles for high school level!
Why article of the week? Reading pedagogy suggests that students are most successful with a text when they revisit it more than once with a different and meaningful purpose each time. The "article of the week" approach does that.
How is this article of the week resource different? With this resource, I've designed daily tasks unique to the articles linked in that give students a meaningful and skills-based reason to revisit the article of the week again each day. With the exception of the day students are answering the provided questions, the tasks can be completed in 10 minutes or so! It would be perfect for bell ringers, RTI, test tutoring, and more! It can be used in any subject wanting to get in more reading!
What content will students be held accountable for?
- Three vocabulary words each week for words in context
- Five text-based questions each week (including skills such as central idea, author's purpose, bias, counterclaims, etc.)
- Figurative language
- Making connections with text to text, text to self, and text to world
Is it flexible, editable, and up-to-date? This is a classroom-tested set of 9 nonfiction articles that have been carefully curated and selected to be timeless, interesting, and grade-appropriate for high school students. Everything in this resource is in 100% editable format. Additionally, this resource provides you two, flexible options for you to implement this article of the week program: Option #1 is the projectable questions and Option #2 is the printable reader's notebook. I've also included a daily task outline to use in order to build on the reading and responding process each day - if you want to do it that way. This a really a one-stop, flexible resource for implementing a text-based daily reading program, article of the week, or reader's notebook.
1) Two formats of the projectable questions: PDF and PPT
2) Two formats of the printable reader's notebook in ink-friendly black and white: PDF and PPT. This option is perfect if you are a paperless school because these editable files can be shared in secure online classrooms very easily!
3) Each set of questions is completely originally written and classroom tested
4) All answers are included for the questions
5) Vocabulary quizzes and answers
6) Daily plan for reading each day in two formats: PDF and PPT
7) Rubric for easy grading
8) Mapping of weekly skills for teacher prep
9) Link to formatted articles
Some topics in this file include: grades, bottled water, refugees, overpopulation
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches. Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to FOLLOW ME. Voila! You will now receive email updates about my store.
For more ideas and inspiration: