How we use this in our classroom:
This resource is based on the concept of Article of the Week, created by Kelly Gallagher. Using Article of the Week is a great way to incorporate non-fiction text into your classroom every day.
This bundle includes 9 different articles for a complete 9-week cycle of grades and skill building.We included science and social studies articles that would be of interest to students.
Each article includes:
Three different variations of the same article
• Option 1 includes blank space for students to take notes and guided reading questions to answer.
• Option 2 includes boxes for “chunking” text into main ideas and guided reading
questions to answer.
• Option 3 includes the questions along the margin to help guide readers as they go
through the article.
• Open-ended response questions
• STAAR-aligned multiple choice questions
• Two different summary options
• 3-2-1 Chart for comprehension checks
• Answer keys for all questions
Possible Weekly Scaffolding Schedule
Monday – Students read the article and take notes on their own (or using whatever close reading strategies have been taught).
Tuesday – Students reread the article, answering the guided questions in the margin.
Wednesday – Students answer the open-ended comprehension questions.
Thursday – Students answer the multiple-choice questions.
Friday – Students complete a written summary of the article.
Again, this is merely one way of using this resource throughout the week. If your students need more guidance, you can always start off by modeling what you want from them each day and use the gradual release method to let them take more ownership.
We even included a 9-week data graph for the multiple-choice questions. This way your
students (and you) can track their progress and can see how they are doing.