Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
2.53 MB | 125 pages
You can save $3.00 by purchasing this bundle instead of each of the individual differentiated instruction lesson plans and PowerPoints. You will get three PowerPoints and three differentiated instruction lesson plans on the Articles of Confederation. All have been recently revised on or around 10/16/2013. All links worked at that time. I do not guarantee the links because I do not control the internet.
These lessons and PowerPoints are based on the NYS social studies curriculum and standards. They include the following content:
The Articles of Confederation and the Critical Period
A. Need for a formal plan of union
1. historical precedent: the Albany Plan of Union
2. Development of state constitutions
3. Inadequacy of Continental Congress as a national government
B. Development of a formal plan of government
1. Draft and debate in Congress, 1776-1777
2. Ratification by the states, 1778-1781; period of operation, 1781-1789
C. The structure of government under the Articles of Confederation
1. Congress was the only branch of government
2. Each state had equal representation
3. Congress's power under the Articles included: a. Making war and peace b. conducting foreign and Native American Indian affairs c. The settlement of disputes between and among states d. issuance of currency and borrowing
D. The Articles suffered from many weaknesses
1. Indirect representation
2. No coercive power: decision more advisory than binding; e.g., Shays' Rebellion
3. Lack of national executive and judicial functions
4. Lack of taxing power
5. Difficulty in passing legislation
E. The Articles did have several achievements and contribution
1. The Land Ordinance of 1785
2. Developed the privileges and immunities of citizenship
3. Developed the concept of limited government
(Above is directly from the NYS social studies curriculum)
Below are the links to the individual products that are included in this bundle so that you can see their ratings and comments.
Critical Period Leading to the Articles of Confederation:
Please consider following me so that you are updated about my new products and bundles. Thank you ahead of time for rating me. Please be as specific as possible when you comment so that it can be helpful to other teachers and myself. If you have any ideas about how to make this bundle better, I would love to hear it. It helps me become a better teacher and make my products better for others.