The following is a bundle on the early government of the United States focusing on the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution. These two lessons are typically taught over a 5 day span (75 minute periods) so these lessons could cover approximately 8 - 45 minute periods. These worksheets include a variety of activities that promote class discussion and critical thinking skills. Purchase this bundle and save $3.00 compared with purchasing both worksheets separately!
The Articles of Confederation - US History Common Core
• Do now that appropriately sets up the lesson
• Main lesson activity – completion of a report card rating the successes and failures of the Articles of Confederation.
• To accomplish this students are required to (individually, in pairs, or small groups) read a variety of primary and secondary sources and answers numerous critical thinking questions. Students are required to complete mini-activities along the way and class discussion opportunities abound!
• After students rate the Articles, they will complete (either in class or for homework) a paragraph assessing the validity of a statement. Rubric for the paragraph is included!
The Constitutional Convention and the Constitution Bundle - US History
• Critical thinking do now perfect for class discussion.
• Primary source activity – The Major Debates of the Constitutional Convention. In pairs or small groups, students analyze quotes from the Framers of the Constitution to better understand the inherent conflicts behind the creation of the Constitution. Students then discuss with their groups which perspective they agree with and why. The attached PowerPoint then gives students the factual information on the actual compromise.
• Class discussion on the powers of each branch
• Constitutional Scavenger Hunt
• Checks and Balances Scenarios
• Amending the Constitution and Federalism discussion.
• Federalism Activity
• Implied Powers Discussion
Worksheet – 12 pages
PowerPoint – 12 slides
Copy of the Constitution included
I also offer an extension reading with questions on Shays' Rebellion. Perfect for homework!
Shays' Rebellion - Articles of Confederation - US History/APUSH
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Follow me to receive notifications for newly uploaded products. If you have a moment, please rate this bundle. Thank you!