This packet is designed to help your students practice producing the sounds /k/, /g/, /f/ and /v/ in a variety of word contexts. This packet contains an “Apple Mat” for every target listed below (28 mats total). Each “Apple Mat” includes 20 colorful apples with pictures and words on them.
Here’s how to use this activity:
1) Choose the appropriate “Apple Mat” for your students.
2) Cut-out the calling cards on pages 30-32 (you may choose to use only the first 2 pages of calling cards for younger students). Laminate the cards for extra durability. Place the cards face-down in a pile on the table or inside a bag.
3) Have your student choose a card and read the prompt (for example: “What do you see on the blue apple with stripes?”). Then, have your student locate the correct apple and practice saying the word on that apple.
4) If your student produces the word correctly, he/she can cover that apple with a token or bingo chip. You can also put the mat inside a page-protector and use dry erase markers to cross off the apples.
5) You can play this game like “Bingo” and have your students try to get a certain number of apples in a row or play until all the apples on the mat are covered.
The following sounds are targeted:
• Initial /k/ words
• Medial /k/ words
• Final /k/ words
• Mixed /k/ words
• Initial /g/ words
• Medial /g/ words
• Final /g/ words
• Mixed /g/ words
• Mixed /k/ and /g/ words
• Minimal pairs for /k/ and /t/
• Minimal pairs for /g/ and /d/
• Mixed /k, g, t, d/ words
• K blends
• G blends
• Initial /f/ words
• Medial /f/ words
• Final /f/ words
• Mixed /f/ words
• Initial /v/ words
• Medial /v/ words
• Final /v/ words
• Mixed /v/ words
• Mixed /f/ and /v/ words
• Minimal pairs for /f/ and /p/
• Minimal pairs for /v/ and /b/
• Mixed /f, v, p, b/ words
• F blends
• Blank Apple Mat so that you can add your own targets