Articulation Blocks an UN-stacking Game
I love playing stacking blocks in therapy but my students often got frustrated with how easy it is to knock over (and some of my students would knock it over or bump the table on purpose). I wanted to figure out a way to play this game without as much frustration! This is how Articulation Blocks was born!
***This product is available in two money saving BUNDLES***
•Speech Blocks Trio Bundle (Articulation, Language, & Fluency Mats)
• Articulation and Language Bundle (Articulation and Language only)
This activity covers the following phonemes:
• /p/ initial, medial, & final position
• /b/ initial, medial, & final position
• /m/ initial, medial, & final position
• /w/ initial, medial position
• /n/ initial, medial, & final position
• /t/ initial, medial, & final position
• /d/ initial, medial, & final position
• /k/ initial, medial, & final position
• /g/ initial, medial, & final position
• /ng/ final position
• y initial position
• /h/ initial position
• /l/ initial, medial, final position, & blends
• /s/ initial, medial, final position, & blends
• /v/ initial, medial, & final position
• /ch/ initial, medial, & final position
• /sh/ initial, medial, & final position
• j initial, medial, & final position
• Mixed th (voice/voiceless) initial, medial, & final position
• Voiceless th initial, medial, & final position
• Voiced th initial, medial, & final position
• pre-vocalic r
• vocalic /r/ (er, ar, or, air, ire, ear, rl)
I also included Carrier Blocks: Larger blocks with carrier phrases and a space for you or the student to write the word from the mat (see pictures/preview). This is an optional addition if you want to work on the words in phrases. 6 carrier phrases included.
→ Materials: stacking blocks game (wooden stacking blocks such as JengaTM or Tumbling Towers). You will also need to select one of the Articulation Blocks Mats that target your student’s objective.
→ Game Set up: Stack the blocks up like the traditional game (three blocks together, alternating directions per 3 blocks…like the image above). Pick the Articulation Blocks mat that you need for your students and place it in front of them.
→ Game Play: Start off by telling your students this isn’t the regular stacking block game (where you take blocks off and stack them back on top). Tell them this is an UN-stacking game!
Each player will carefully remove a block out of the tower (they are not allowed to take one of the top blocks until the tower is down to 2 layers or no other blocks can be removed without it tumbling down). Then they get to choose a block on their mat to put it on. The student will produce target phoneme and then place the block over it. Practice 7X per block to get over 100 productions per mat!
Other Block Products to use with JengaTM or Tumbling Towers Blocks
This activity covers 14 language targets (categories, compare/contrast, wh-questions, describing, defining, associations, following directions, vocabulary, analogies, synonyms, antonyms, irregular plurals, irregular past-tense verbs, & fix the sentence) and includes 69 mats. Click here to check it out
This activity covers 6 fluency strategies with multiple levels of difficulty for each one. I also included strategy teaching cards, posters, and visuals. Click here to check it out
This activity uses the same type of blocks but the students build on the mats (to make buildings/images). This version is better for students who struggle with fine motor skills. This product comes with 19 mats (5 language targets: categories, compare/contrast, association, wh-questions, and vocabulary. Click here to check it out
Check out My Speech & Language Builders FREEBIE Here!
These mats are blank and intended to be used as an open-ended activity during therapy sessions.