Articulation and Language Racing Mats BUNDLE
Toy Companion Common Language and Articulation Targets (toy cars not included with purchase)
Do you need a super fun activity to keep your articulation and language students engaged? This activity will do the trick! I use this with k-5th (depending on skill level). Even my older students enjoy it!
This is a bundle of the following products:
Articulation Racing Mats
Language Racing Mats
Materials Needed: Racing mats, *10 toy cars, finish line (optional)
Optional: play dough, bingo chips, bingo dotters, crayons
*10 cars are recommended but not required. If you have less than 10 cars, the student will retrieve the cars and do the activity again until they have practiced all of the words on the mat.
I found a pack of 20 cars on Amazon but you can also find toy cars at local toy stores or dollar stores.
To use: Set the racing mats in front of the student (by target objective). I do this activity on the floor to allow more racing space. Place the finish line across from the racing mats. Line up the toy cars over the cars on the mat (or if it is too tempting to have all of the cars at once, hand the student one car at a time). As they race each car towards the finish line (by pushing/rolling the car off of the mat), the student will practice the objective in the circle. At the end of the round, your students will count how many of their cars made it past the finish line (you can make it a contest!). I suggest doing a couple practice races to gauge the distance needed for the finish line.
What's Included in the language pack: (each skill has two mats) 8 targets per mat
• Categories: There are three types of category mats included: Name items in a Category, Name the Category, & Which One Doesn’t Belong (I have my students tell how the other two items are alike)
• Compare/Contrast: The student is prompted to tell how two items are the same (alike) and how they are different. There are pictures as visual aids on the mats.
• WH-Questions: There are separate mats for what, where, when, who, why, and how questions. There is also a mat for mixed wh-questions. The student is prompted to answer basic, functional wh-questions.
• Vocabulary: These mats give a definition or description and the student has to name the vocabulary word. Please note, I used functional vocabulary words.
• Associations: The student has to fill in the missing word to an association close phrase “a shoe goes with a _____” I take any logical association (answers may vary among students).
• Antonyms: The student is asked to name the antonym of the given word/picture.
• Synonyms: The student is asked to name the synonym of the given word/picture.
• Regular & Irregular Past Tense Verbs: The student is provided with a present progressive phrase (Today he is…) and prompted to say the regular/irregular past tense with a cloze phrase (Yesterday he…)
• Regular/Irregular Plurals: The student is shown the singular picture and then a plural picture and prompted to fill in the close phrase with the regular/irregular plural. (Here is one ___, here are three___).
• Multiple Meaning Words: The student is prompted to name two meanings of the given word.
• Idioms: The literal representation is on the block. The student is prompted to tell what the idiom really means.
• Blank mat to write you own targets on!
Phonemes included in the articulation back (black and white pages also included).
10 targets per mat
★Initial/Final p, b, m
★Final t, d, n
(separate mats for sp, st, sm, sn, sk, sl, sw, mixed)
★Vocalic r (separate pages for er, or, ar, ear, air)
(this comes with a printing guide, to find the phonemes you need quickly!)
Play dough mats:. The student will squish play dough over each car after they practice the target word.
Bingo chips: The students will place a bingo chip over each circle on the cars as they practice the target word.
Parking lot: The students can practice the target word and then “park” the cars until they are all covered up!
You may also like these toy companions available in my store:
Frog Launching Pad (articulation and language)
Artic and Vocab Toss
Earn Your Bricks (Artic and Language)
Farm Animal Feeding Mats for Articulation
Wind Up Articulation (for wind up toys)
Check out My Blocks Products (companions for the game JengaTM)
My other game companions
Climb it & Slide, Articulation companion for Chutes and Ladders
4 to Score, Articulation Companion for Connect Four
Check out Speech-Zee (a companion for YahtzeeTM)
Looking for more engaging articulation products?
Artic Swat Bundle! Squish or Swat flies while practicing phonemes!
Articulation Homework Bundle
Dab A Sound Football Edition!