This SPOTLIGHT introduces JR (Contemporary French Street Artist) and his artwork to students — in a visual and informative way.
• Minimize facts and focus on what the students are saying about the work! [In my mind, if I can't sum the artist/work up in seven facts (including name, birthday, and birth place as three facts), I haven't done enough research on the artist!]
• I work hard to keep Artist Spotlight presentations to less than 20 minutes so students have plenty of studio time. (It's challenging as there’s a video in the presentation — and kids have great ideas and want to share. Try "Turn and Talk" if you feel challenged.) As you will see, I created this presentation in early 2015 when protest in NYC and Paris were incorporating JR's images.
• Additionally, please check out JR image strip/stickers. My students use glue sticks to paste these images of JR's ART into their workbooks — and then listed the seven facts nearby.
• While I expect students to internalize all seven facts (and their feelings about JR's work), I suggest they only copy down the key words (underlined on the facts slide). It saves time!! You'll see.
• On the slide "What will you steal from JR?," I require students write down in their books exactly what they will steal and then ask several students to share. This keeps the presentation/expectation real!!
• You and your students will love this!! Good luck! : )