The Star Life Cycle Assessment Bundle is designed to assess student’s understanding of the sun and its life cycle, as well as how stars over their life cycle produce different elements. This meets Next Generation Science Standards HS-ESS1-1 and HS-ESS1-3. The assessment bundle includes 39 pages of several learning activities, as well as the quiz and exam assignments. It also includes answer keys, and a standards-based grading performance scale. Thumbnails show pages from the Current Events Reading Assignment, Spectroscope Lab, and HR Diagram Analysis.
HS-ESS1-1. Develop a model based on evidence to illustrate the life span of the sun and the role of nuclear fusion in the sun’s core to release energy that eventually reaches Earth in the form of radiation.
HS-ESS1-3. Communicate scientific ideas about the way stars, over their life cycle, produce elements.
The bundle includes:
- Current Events Reading Assignment
- Spectroscope Lab
- Heat Transfer Lab Activity
- HR Diagram Reading/Analysis
- Multiple Choice Quiz
- Star Life Cycle “POGIL”
- Unit Exam
Before completing the unit assessments, students should be able to:
- explain the process of nuclear fusion, including the source of fuel (hydrogen) and final products (elements produced; energy).
- explain how the sun’s energy reaches Earth (radiation).
- describe the stages in the life cycles of high and average mass stars.
- explain the relationship between a star’s mass, its life cycle, and the elements it produces.
If you aren't interested in the bundle, you may find some of the individual activities and assessments in my store.