This eBook contains the entire hard copy of Assessments for the Science Process Skills of Inquiry for Primary Grades. which are sold individually as Science Assessments for Primary Level 1, 2, and 3.
The hands-on student performance tasks in this book were developed from Sheryl Mercier and Karen Ostlund efforts to document changes in student learning. Teachers of primary students who use these performance assessments will be able to observe and record information regarding student ability to use science process skills. Repeated use of these performance tasks by a teacher will capture change in a student's science process skill acquisition over time. Our intent was to create assessment tools that would document change in the ability to use the science process skills of inquiry that may be incremental and not easily captured by one administration of a 'paper and pencil' instrument. Finally, the performance task assessments we developed require few changes to the existing science curriculum for a primary teacher or school. That is, we do not want teachers to think that their curriculum must change to address the items on our assessments. Rather, we want teachers using the assessments to decide if the items on our performance tasks caused any changes in student learning.
The book contains
1. 33 developmentally appropriate hand-on performance assessments for the science process skills of inquiry, levels 1,2, and 3.
2. Complete instructions and rubrics for assessing the major process skills of inquiry
3. Engaging original illustrated student recording sheets for each activity- blackline reproducible masters
4. Using hands-on activities, assesses the process skills of: observing, communicating, estimating, measuring, collecting data, classifying, inferring, predicting, making models, interpreting data, making graphs, hypothesizing, defining operationally, controlling variables, and investigating
5. Science Investigation templates and award ribbons.